Feb 26, 2024
Click here for the UMFK_Self Design Form.
Students in University of Maine at Fort Kent baccalaureate programs who wish to create their own minor may propose and design a course of study around a broad theme or question in collaboration with a faculty advisor. Students will meet with an advisor to approve their program and sign the self-designed minor form. The self-designed minor requires successful completion of at least 18 credits and no more than 21 credits. The proposed minor courses can be interdisciplinary.
Goals and Outcomes
- Design a curriculum around a broad question or theme
- Collaborate with faculty advisors on learning outcomes
- Produce a significant piece of original research or creative work which is presented at the scholar’s symposium or comparable venue
Students must have a primary faculty advisor for their minor, who can also serve as their academic advisor. If the minor faculty advisor is not the academic advisor, the academic advisor must also sign the minor approval form.
Additional Minor Requirements
- A 2.0 grade point average in the minor is required.
- Upper-level Residency: A minimum of 12 credits at the 300- or 400-level in the minor must be earned on this campus.
- A student may be awarded any minor as long as no more than two courses of the minor can be used to fulfill the requirements of the student’s major.
- Students are responsible for ensuring that they have met all University, major and minor requirements and should meet with an advisor in the major department for academic planning and to be approved for registration each semester.
- Students must declare a self-designed minor at least two semesters prior to their graduation semester and submit the form with courses, outcomes, description and signatures to the registrar.
- Choosing a course for a minor at UMFK does not ensure the course will be offered at a particular semester or time, students are responsible for conferring with advisors on practicality of course offerings to meet minor proposals.
At least 18 and no more than 21 credits are required to complete the minor.
*Electives must be approved by UMFK faculty.
- Electives 100 or 200 level. No more than 6 credits
- Electives of 300 or 400 level. At least 12 credits.