2023-2024 Catalog 
    Nov 29, 2023  
2023-2024 Catalog

Registration and Records


Registration involves academic advising, course selection, and payment arrangements. Students must see their academic advisors for assistance with course selection. Students who are not working towards a degree may seek the assistance of a faculty advisor.

To register for courses, students go to the MaineStreet Student Center and enter their courses on their Wish List. Once the courses have been reviewed and approved by their academic advisor, students may enroll. A student who is not in a degree program, or who has not previously taken classes at UMFK, may complete a registration form and submit it in person or online to the Registrar’s Office.

Specific early registration days for currently enrolled students is published in the Academic Calendar. On these days, priority in course selection is based upon a student’s Class Level (see Student Class Level); seniors register first, followed by juniors, sophomores, and finally freshmen. Subsequent to the reserved date, any student may register for classes on a space-available basis until the Last Day to Add classes; refer to Academic Calendar for these dates.

New students are provided the option to register for the fall semester during the summer registration days. However, all new students may also register during the student orientation or by contacting the Assistant Dean of Student Success. All new transfer students will register with their assigned academic advisor.


Courses at the University of Maine at Fort Kent may be taken on an audit basis. Attendance in the courses is mandatory. Scheduled work and exams will be determined by the course instructor. Audit grades do not affect GPA. Registration for audit must be completed prior to the end of the Add period (see 2023-2024 Academic Calendar ). Forms for auditing courses are available in the Registrar’s Office. Tuition and fees are assessed for audited courses.

Course Cancellations

The University of Maine at Fort Kent reserves the right to cancel courses.

Student Class Level

Class level is determined by the number of credits completed at the University, including those accepted in transfer from other institutions.

Class Level Credits
Freshman: 0-23 earned credits
Sophomore: 24-53 earned credits
Junior: 54-83 earned credits
Senior: 84+ earned credits

Adding a Course

Students wishing to add a course(s) may do so within the ‘Add’ period for that session. For Add dates, see the ‘2023-2024 Academic Calendar ’. Please consult your academic advisor to add courses.

Course Drop

Students wishing to drop a course may do so during the Drop period set for each session. There are no academic and financial implications if a course is dropped within the Drop period. However, it is important to consult your academic advisor. For more information on Drop dates, please see the ‘2023-2024 Academic Calendar ’.

Course and Term Withdrawal Policy and Procedure

A course dropped AFTER the Add/Drop period is called ‘course withdrawal’. If all courses are dropped after the Add/Drop period, the student has withdrawn from the term or ‘term withdrawal’. A grade of “W” grade is entered on the transcript. W grades are not computed in GPA. For all purposes, the W grade is recognized as an attempted but not earned credit. Students will be responsible for the full cost of the course.

Both course and term withdrawals have financial and academic implications. If it is the intention of the student to withdraw from a course or a term or a session, the withdrawal procedures are to be observed. Failure to do so will result in the assignment of a grade for each course involved, and the grade will be computed in the grade point average. Merely ceasing to attend classes does not constitute an official course or term withdrawal. Instructors will determine a grade based on individual cases.

Students wishing to withdraw from a course or the term after the Add/Drop period are recommended to seek advice from their academic advisor and/or the Student Success Office.

Students must complete the ‘Course/Term Withdrawal” form obtained at the Business Office or online at the UMFK website under ‘Forms & Documents.’ The completed form must be submitted to the Business Office or may be submitted electronically.

Distance Education (online) students may submit the “Course /Term Withdrawal” form electronically or contact their advisor or instructor to request a course withdrawal. The request is forwarded to the Registrar.

The date of withdrawal is the date the completed form or emailed request to withdraw is initiated.

All academic sessions have a “Last Day to Withdraw”. In the regular 15-week terms, course and term withdrawals are not permitted after the 10th week of classes except in unusual circumstances. Course and/or term withdrawal after the 10th week require the approval of the Academic Affairs office. See “Last day to Withdraw” in the ‘2023-2024 Academic Calendar ’. Students may submit an Academic Appeal to the Academic Affairs Office requesting to be withdrawn after this date. The Academic Appeal form may be found in the portal.

Short sessions

Session Drop/Withdrawal Policy
3-week session

Students may drop course(s) until the end of the 3rd day with no academic penalty.

Course withdrawal after the 3rd day will be assigned a grade of “W”.

7-week session

Students may drop course(s) until the end of the 7th day with no academic penalty.

Course withdrawal after the 7th day will be assigned a grade of “W”.

14-week session

Students may drop course(s) until the end of the 14th day with no academic penalty.

Course withdrawal after the 14th day will be assigned a grade of “W”.

Transfer of Credit Practices

UMFK recognizes past course work and prior learning relevant to University programs and will evaluate as such within the limitations of our accreditors, government regulations, etc. and therefore appropriately awards credit to the extent practical with the following procedures.

The standards used for the evaluation of transfer credit will follow the New England Commission on Higher Education endorsement of the Joint Statement on the Transfer and Award of Credit supported by the American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admission Officers, the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the American Council on Education, which states:, (1) the educational quality of the learning experience which the student seeks to transfer; (2) the comparability of the nature, content and level of the learning experience to that offered; and (3) the appropriateness and applicability of the learning experience to the programs offered, in light of the student’s educational goals.

To receive credit for work from other institutions, students must submit official transcripts from each higher-ed institution attended, to the Shared Processing Center (edocs@maine.edu). In some cases, students may also be asked to send a course syllabus and/or the course description to the Registrar’s Office to assist with evaluation.

The Registrar’s Office enters transfer credit on to the student’s record as appropriate and approved by the faculty. Each accepted transfer student receives a written evaluation of transfer credit from the Registrar’s Office. If a student disagrees with a decision made in regard to the transfer of his/her credits from one institution to another, the student may appeal through the regular academic appeals process at the receiving institution.

Transfer credit must meet the following conditions to be accepted:

  1. Eligible credit must be earned from a college or university accredited by an accrediting commission which is recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or by the Department of Education. Eligible credit is also accepted with an approved score from Advanced Placement (AP), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), or through life experience (i.e., prior learning and/or other learning, such as military training) when validated through the approved campus processes. Course credit from international institutions will be evaluated by World Education Services (WES) prior to UMFK reviewing the transcript for transfer credit.

  2. Students who transfer to UMFK, with a Bachelor’s degree are exempt from completing UMFK’s General Education requirements.

  3. Nursing students must earn a minimum grade of C for General Education transfer courses and a minimum grade of C+ for Nursing transfer courses to be accepted.

  4. Transfer courses with minimum grades of C- are accepted for all Elective and General Education courses, except for Nursing (see below). 

  5. Transfer courses with a minimum grade of C are accepted for Major required courses. 

  6. Transfer grade points are not awarded or calculated into UMFK’s cumulative grade point average (GPA).

  7. Stand-alone courses graded as Pass are considered for transfer if the transcript clearly shows the P grade is equal to a C- or higher. Labs or practica graded as Pass are only considered for transfer if the main course, to which it is attached, meets the minimum grade requirement.

  8. Nursing clinical courses are not transferable.

  9. Students in the RN-BSN Nursing track, who have an earned Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) or Associate of Science (ASN) degree in Nursing, and have a valid RN License, transfer a block of 69 credits toward the General Education requirement.  These students must complete additional General Education courses: ENG 101, FRE 163 or any secondary language course (FRE 101, SPA 101), MAT 351, and 3 credits from General Education categories:  History, Visual & Performing Arts or Philosophy, and Literature. 

  10. Students in Traditional and Accelerated Nursing tracks must have completed all Nursing coursework within the last 5 years for the credits to apply towards the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. 

    1. If a student is not enrolled in clinical coursework for a period of 12 months or more, all clinical coursework must be repeated including didactic, laboratory, and clinical components. 

    2. Once students are matriculated into the UMFK Nursing program, they must complete all core nursing (NUR/HLT) courses through UMFK. 

    3. Once matriculated at UMFK, any transfer Biology coursework completed with a grade of C- or less, counts as a course attempt.

    4. Transfer of a 3-credit pharmacology course is accepted for Traditional or Accelerated students, if the course was taken within the last 2 years within the University of Maine system, with a minimum C+. Transfer of a 3-credit pharmacology course is accepted from a non-Maine institution if completed within the past 2 years with a minimum grade of C+ and the student has completed a comprehensive examination. (This policy does not apply to the RN-BSN track).

  11. A transfer course not equivalent to an UMFK course is assigned elective credit at the appropriate level; i.e. a 100-level is noted as 100-level, a 200-level will be noted as 200-level, etc.

  12. Quarter credits or units are converted to semester credits by dividing the quarter credit by 1.5. Example, 5 quarter credits equals 3.3 semester credits.

  13. When a transfer course is assessed as equivalent, but has fewer credits than the UMFK course, the course transfers, but only the credit hours earned is applied. When a transfer course’s credits exceed an equivalent UMFK course, all credits earned are applied. Prior Learning experiences undergo a more extensive review to establish credit hours earned. (See the Prior Learning Policy).

  14. Remedial credit (often with a course number below 100) is not eligible for transfer. The course may be posted to the student record to fulfill a prerequisite requirement but does not carry credit.

  15. All transfer credits are accepted if completed within the University of Maine System (UMS) with a minimum grade of C-; credits may be applied to the specific academic degree but may not apply to the student’s major. 

  16. UMFK has Articulation Agreements with select institutions that list transfer credits that apply directly to a major and they list the exact credits students have remaining to complete at UMFK.

  17. Military Training & Experience credit for education and experience that occurred during US military service are based on the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) guidelines. Students must submit a JST (Joint Services Transcript) military transcript to the Registrar’s Office. 

  18. Students are allowed to transfer up to 6 graduate credits, with a minimum grade of B, toward their baccalaureate program, if the graduate institution meets the accreditation requirements stated above.  Graduate credits applied toward a bachelor degree, will not count toward the master’s degree. 

  19. UMFK transfers in only credits required to complete students’ declared major(s), minor(s) or certificate, including elective credit.

  20. International transcripts must be evaluated by World Education Services (WES), prior to UMFK reviewing the transcript for transfer credit.

Change of Degree Program

To declare a change in degree program, the student must submit a change of degree form to the Registrar’s Office in the Business Office. The new program advisor’s signature is required, and additionally, the Director of Nursing signature if changing to a nursing program. Students may access the new degree requirements through their student center degree progress report.

Catalog Declaration

  • UMFK catalogs are in effect for five years from the initial effective term.
  • UMFK catalogs take effect on the first day of classes for the respective major.
  • The catalog used for a student’s major and general-education requirements must be the same.
  • New first-Year students follow the catalog requirements in effect during the semester they matriculate to UMFK. Upon the advice of their Advisor, students may follow a more recent catalog, but never an earlier catalog.
  • Current students follow the catalog requirements in effect during the semester they matriculate to UMFK. Upon the advice of their Advisor, students may follow a more recent catalog, but never an earlier catalog.
  • Transfer students admitted to UMFK follow catalog requirements in effect during the semester they matriculate to UMFK.
  • Students who are readmitted to UMFK, after an absence of two or more semesters, excluding summer session, must meet the requirements of the current catalog, or submit a “Request for Change of Academic Catalog Year” requesting to use degree/major requirements from an earlier catalog, up to five years prior to the term of readmission. 
  • Students should contact their previous Advisor to determine which catalog best fits their graduation plans.
  • Former students must have attended during the year of the catalog they choose to use.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)


Education records are kept by University offices to facilitate the educational development of students. Faculty and staff members may also keep informal records relating to their functional responsibilities with individual students.

A federal law, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended (FERPA), also known as the Buckley Amendment, affords students certain rights concerning their education records.  Students have the right to have some control over the disclosure of information from their records. Educational institutions have the responsibility to prevent improper disclosure of personally identifiable information from the records. Refer to this link for the University of Maine System FERPA policy and practices.

Student and Parents Rights Relating to Education Records

Students have the right to know about the purposes, content, and location of information kept as part of their education records.

They have the right to gain access to and challenge the content of their education records. FERPA was not intended to provide a process to be used to question substantive judgments that are correctly recorded. The right of challenge is not intended to allow students to contest, for example, a grade in a course because they felt a higher grade should have been assigned.

Students also have the right to expect that information in their education records will be kept confidential, disclosed only with their permission or under provisions of the law.

FERPA considers all students independent which limits the education record information that may be released to parents, without the student’s specific written permission, to directory information.  Parents have the right, under certain conditions, to gain access to information in the student’s education records. Parents who claimed the student as a dependent on their most recent IRS 1040 are permitted access to the student’s education records.

Directory Information

Some information about students is considered directory information. Directory information may be publicly shared by the institution unless the student has taken formal action to restrict its release.

Directory information includes:

  • Name* 
  • Mailing Address 
  • University Email Address 
  • Program of Study 
  • Dates of Attendance 
  • Degrees and Awards received (including dates) 
  • Most recent previous educational institution attended 
  • Participation in sports and activities 
  • Class Level 
  • Enrollment status (full/part-time) 
  • Personal athletic statistical data 

* If a student provides a preferred/chosen name, that will be considered Directory Information instead of the legal name. The University will use/release the legal name in cases where the use of the legal name is required (e.g., State and Federal reporting, subpoenas, tax documents, etc.). 

Students may elect to suppress their Directory Information by going to the Self-Service Center in MaineStreet. Under the “Personal Information” section is a drop-down box with the words “other personal…”. From this drop-down box the student should select “Privacy Settings” and then click on the “go” button (>>). A new screen will appear with FERPA information and a pair of radio buttons. Selecting the button “Do not release any directory information” will suppress all directory information until the student decides otherwise. The University assumes that the student does not object to the release of the Directory Information unless the student changes their privacy settings.

Release of Non-Directory Information

There are forms that the University has created to grant access to a student’s educational record; this form supersedes the suppression of Directory Information.

The Student Consent to Release Information (PDF). This form allows students to give access to their educational records to specific individuals. This access remains in effect until the student revokes permission in writing.

Once the Registrar’s Office receives the completed form, the information will be documented in MaineStreet (Peoplesoft) in the Service Indicator module.

Questions should be directed to the Registrar’s Office at (207) 768-9581.

Education Records

Education records are specifically defined as records, files, documents, and other materials that contain information directly related to a student and maintained by the University or someone acting for the University according to policy.

Excluded from education records are records of instructional, supervisory, and administrative personnel and ancillary educational personnel in the sole possession of the maker and that are not accessible or revealed to any other person, except for a substitute. Additionally, notes of a professor or staff member intended for his or her own use are not part of the education record, nor are records of police services, application records of students not admitted to the University, alumni records, or records of physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, or other recognized professionals.

Records relating to an individual who is employed by the University not as a result of his or her status as a student are also excluded. However, employment records relating to University students who are employed as a result of their status as students are considered education records.

When is Prior Consent Not Required?

The institution may release records without consent but is not required to do so.  Some examples of the exceptions for having a release include:

  • “School Officials” with a “legitimate educational interest” / “need to know”; Employees and legal agents have access to education records in order to perform their official, educationally related duties;
  • Companies with which the university has a contractual agreement in order to do tasks normally done at the university (i.e., grading tools as part of textbook agreements):
  • Disclosure to another institution where student seeks to enroll or is enrolled;
  • Disclosure in connection with the receipt of financial aid (validating eligibility);
  • Disclosure to state/local officials in conjunction with legislative requirements;
  • Disclosure to organizations conducting studies to improve instruction, or to accrediting organizations;
  • Disclosure to parents of dependent studies (IRS definition); FERPA considers all students independent which limits the education record information that may be released to parent, without the student’s specific written permission, to directory information. Parents have the right, under certain conditions, to gain access to information in their student’s education records. Parents who claimed the student as a dependent on their most recent IRS 1040 are permitted access to the student’s education records.
  • To comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena;
  • Disclosure for a health/safety emergency; and Disclosure of directory information
  • Disciplinary information (Warner Amendment);
  • Disclosure to the alleged victim, information from disciplinary proceedings;
  • Only when found in violation, and only for crimes of violence, release of name, sanction, and outcome (public information); and
  • Disclosure to parents of any student under the age of 21, a violation of federal, state, local or institutional laws/regulation related to substance abuse (Foley Amendment).

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of a student’s education records. The law applies to all schools which receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education. FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children’s education records. These rights transfer to the student, or former student, who has reached the age of 18 or is attending any school beyond the high school level. Students and former students to whom the rights have transferred are called eligible students. Eligible students have the right to inspect and review all of the student’s education records maintained by the school. Schools are not required to provide copies of materials in education records unless, for reasons such as great distance, it is impossible for eligible students to inspect the records. Schools may charge a fee for copies. Eligible students have the right to request that a school correct records believed to be inaccurate or misleading. If the school decides not to amend the record, the eligible student has the right to a formal hearing. After the hearing, if the school still decides not to amend the record, the eligible student has the right to place a statement with the record commenting on the contested information in the record. Generally, schools must have written permission from the eligible student before releasing any information from a student’s record. However, the law allows schools to disclose records, without consent, to the following parties:

  • school employees who have a need to know
  • other schools to which a student is transferring
  • certain government officials in order to carry out lawful functions
  • appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student
  • organizations conducting certain studies for the school
  • accrediting organizations
  • individuals who have obtained court orders or subpoenas
  • persons who need to know in cases of health and safety emergencies; and state and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific state law

Schools may disclose, without consent, “directory” type information such as a student’s name, address, email address, class level, degree and major, dates of attendance, enrollment status, degrees awarded, dates of graduation, sports and activities participation, and honors and awards. However, students may request that directory information be suppressed by contacting the Registrar’s Office. If a student chooses to have directory information suppressed, the University will release information to those not authorized under the act only in emergency situations. Questions concerning the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act may be referred to the Registrar’s Office.


A transcript is a legal document showing ALL courses attempted/completed at UMFK. Per the FEPPA Policy (see the FERPA policy section), transcripts can only be sent at the written request of the student. Students may self-print their unofficial transcript via MaineStreet. Official transcripts carry the signature of the Registrar and embossed seal of the University. Transcripts show work completed as of the date of request, current courses, and courses registered for upcoming terms.

Transfer transcripts from other institutions, which have been presented for admission or evaluation, become a part of the student’s permanent academic file and are not returned or copied for distribution. Students desiring transcripts covering work attempted elsewhere should request them from the appropriate institution.

Under Maine law, the University must provide current and former students their official transcript or diploma upon request, regardless of a past due balance or debt owed to the institution. Students with a record hold due to a past due balance should contact the Student Accounts Office to request a temporary removal of the hold so the student can then request their official record(s) be sent by the Registrar’s Office. After 14 days, the Hold Indicator is reapplied and remains in place until the debt is fully discharged, or until the student makes another records request. Students with past due balances of $2,500 or more must enter into a payment plan before the hold is temporarily removed; however, UMS or its universities may not require a student to make a payment on a repayment plan prior to releasing the requested record(s).

UMFK is partnered with the National Student Clearinghouse to provide secure, electronic delivery of official transcripts to an email address anywhere in the world. Paper and electronic transcripts may be ordered online at https://www.umfk.edu/registrar/transcripts/. The paper transcript service costs $5.05 per transcript, with express delivery available for an additional fee. The electronic service costs $3.90 per transcript or $2.90 if the receiving institution participates in the Electronic Transcript Exchange (ETX). These fees are payable by credit card when you place your online order. Students who attended prior to 1990 do not have electronic records; therefore, they can only request a transcript via a written request to the Registrar’s Office. For this option:.
Students must verify with the recipient they will accept an electronic transcript.
Electronic transcripts for undergraduate admission to a UMS institution do not need to be requested; staff can access the transcript via MaineStreet as long as there is no hold on the student’s account.
Students who completed dual enrollment credits while in high-School, must use their UMFK Student ID# to request official transcripts. Orders are not processed without a UMFK Student ID# and are denied by the National Student Clearinghouse for “No Student Record Found”.


Diplomas are mailed approximately 30 days after the end of the semester.

Diplomas list major, program, conferral date, and, if applicable, earned graduation honors . Your transcripts will list major, program, conferral date, and, if applicable, earned graduation honors  and minor(s). The conferral date listed on the diplomas and transcripts is the official last day of the term in which the degree was completed.

Veterans Educational Programs

Many University of Maine at Fort Kent programs have been approved by The Maine State Approving Agency for the use of educational benefits for Veterans, Service Persons, National Guard and eligible dependents of disabled or deceased Veterans. Students should contact the nearest VA regional hospital for information concerning eligibility, counseling, and benefits. Information is available at http://www.gibill.va.gov.

Students eligible for VA educational benefits should contact the UMFK Registrar’s Office to inform them of their veteran status. The Registrar’s Office is responsible for processing the necessary paperwork for benefits.

To apply for VA educational benefits, the student must:

  1. Apply for and be accepted into a University degree program.
  2. Complete the appropriate application for VA Benefits with the Registrar’s Office (Chapter 33 must complete 22-1990 at: http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp.
  3. Submit a copy of the DD-214 (for Chapter 30) (Chapter 33 must submit a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility.)
  4. Register for, and begin taking classes.

To request certification of benefits each semester, the student must use the form located here:


Students should contact the Registrar’s Office with questions or assistance.

Title 38 United States Code Section 3679(e) School Statement of Compliance

Any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits will be permitted to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance. A certificate of eligibility can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ eBenefits website, or a VA form 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes.

UMFK will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from the VA under chapter 31 or 33.

This agreement will terminate on the date on which payment from the VA is made to the institution or 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility, whichever date is most beneficial to the covered individual.