2020-2021 Catalog 
    Jun 21, 2024  
2020-2021 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Registration and Records


Registration involves academic advising, course selection, and payment arrangements. Students must see their academic advisors for assistance with course selection. Students who are not working towards a degree may seek the assistance of a faculty advisor.

To register for courses, students go to the MaineStreet Student Center and enter their courses on their Wish List. Once the courses have been reviewed and approved by their academic advisor, students may enroll. A student who is not in a degree program, or who has not previously taken classes at UMFK, may complete a registration form and submit it in person or online to the Registrar’s Office.

Specific early registration days for returning students to enroll in subsequent semesters are published in the Academic Calendar. On these days, priority in course selection is based upon a student’s class level; that is, seniors register first, followed by juniors, sophomores, and finally freshmen. Subsequent to that date, registrations are accepted on a first-come, space-available basis until the “Last Day to Register” which is two weeks before the start of the semester. Students may register after the “Last Day to Register” deadline but a $50 Late Fee will be assessed.

New students are provided the option to register for the fall semester during the summer registration days. However, all new students may also register during the student orientation or by contacting the Assistant Dean of Student Success. All new transfer students will register with their assigned academic advisor.


Courses at the University of Maine at Fort Kent may be taken on an audit basis. Attendance in the courses is mandatory. Scheduled work and exams will be determined by the course instructor. Registration for audit must be completed prior to the end of the Add/Drop period (see Academic Calendar 2020-2021  ). Forms for auditing courses are available in the Registrar’s Office. Tuition and fees are assessed for audited courses.

Course Cancellations

The University of Maine at Fort Kent reserves the right to cancel courses.

Student Class Level

Class level is determined by the number of credits completed at the University, including those accepted in transfer from other institutions.

Class Level Credits
Freshman: 0-23 earned credits
Sophomore: 24-53 earned credits
Junior: 54-83 earned credits
Senior: 84+ earned credits

Adding a Course

Students wishing to add a course(s) may do so within the ‘Add’ period in the first week of the regular term or session. Please consult your academic advisor to add courses.

Course Drop

Students wishing to drop a course may do so during the Add/Drop period. There are no academic and financial implications if a course is dropped within the Add/Drop period. However, it is important to consult your academic advisor. For more information on Add/Drop dates, please see the ‘Academic Calendar 2020-2021  ’.

Course and Term Withdrawal Policy and Procedure

A course dropped AFTER the Add/Drop period is called ‘course withdrawal’. If all courses are dropped after the Add/Drop period, the student has withdrawn from the term or ‘term withdrawal’. Both course and term withdrawals have financial and academic implications. If it is the intention of the student to withdraw from a course or a term or a session, the withdrawal procedures are to be observed. Failure to do so will result in the assignment of a grade for each course involved, and the grade will be computed in the grade point average. Merely ceasing to attend classes does not constitute an official course or term withdrawal. Instructors will determine a grade based on individual cases.

Students wishing to withdraw from a course or the term after the Add/Drop period are recommended to seek advice from their academic advisor and/or the Student Success Office.

Students must complete the ‘Course/Term Withdrawal” form obtained at the Business Office or online at the UMFK website under ‘Forms & Documents.’ The completed form must be submitted to the Business Office or may be submitted electronically.

Distance Education (online) students may submit the “Course /Term Withdrawal” form electronically or contact their advisor or instructor to request a course withdrawal. The request is forwarded to the Registrar.

The date of withdrawal is the date the completed form or emailed request to withdraw is initiated.

In the regular 15 week terms, course and term withdrawals are not permitted after the 10th week of classes (see “Last day to Withdraw” in the Academic Calendar) except in unusual circumstances. Course and/or term withdrawal after the 10th week require the approval of the instructor and the Academic Affairs office.

Change of Degree Program

To declare a change in degree program, the student must submit a change of degree form to the Registrar’s Office in the Business Office. The new program advisor’s signature is required, and additionally, the Director of Nursing signature if changing to a nursing program. Students may access the new degree requirements through their student center degree progress report.

Academic Implications for Course and Term Withdrawal

Fall and Spring Semesters (15 Week Term)

  1. Courses may be added during the FIRST week of classes. This applies to all credit courses (day and evening). Courses may be dropped during the first and second week of classes without academic penalty (see Academic Calendar 2020-2021  for deadlines).
  2. Beginning with the THIRD week of classes until the end of the 10th week of classes, as published in the Academic Calendar, courses may be withdrawn with a grade of “W” assigned by the Registrar. The “W” is not computed in grade point averages. For all purposes, the “W” grade will be recognized as an attempted but not earned credit. Students will be responsible for the full cost of the course.

Short sessions

Session Drop/Withdrawal Policy
3-week session Students may drop course(s) until the end of the 3rd day with no academic penalty. Course withdrawal after the 3rd day will be assigned a grade of “W”.
7-week session Students may drop course(s) until the end of the 7th day with no academic penalty. Course withdrawal after the 7th day will be assigned a grade of “W”.
14-week session Students may drop course(s) until the end of the 14th day with no academic penalty. Course withdrawal after the 14th day will be assigned a grade of “W”.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law designed to protect the privacy of a student’s education records. The law applies to all schools which receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education. FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children’s education records. These rights transfer to the student, or former student, who has reached the age of 18 or is attending any school beyond the high school level. Students and former students to whom the rights have transferred are called eligible students. Eligible students have the right to inspect and review all of the student’s education records maintained by the school. Schools are not required to provide copies of materials in education records unless, for reasons such as great distance, it is impossible for eligible students to inspect the records. Schools may charge a fee for copies. Eligible students have the right to request that a school correct records believed to be inaccurate or misleading. If the school decides not to amend the record, the eligible student has the right to a formal hearing. After the hearing, if the school still decides not to amend the record, the eligible student has the right to place a statement with the record commenting on the contested information in the record. Generally, schools must have written permission from the eligible student before releasing any information from a student’s record. However, the law allows schools to disclose records, without consent, to the following parties:

  • school employees who have a need to know
  • other schools to which a student is transferring
  • certain government officials in order to carry out lawful functions
  • appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student
  • organizations conducting certain studies for the school
  • accrediting organizations
  • individuals who have obtained court orders or subpoenas
  • persons who need to know in cases of health and safety emergencies; and state and local authorities, within a juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific state law

Schools may disclose, without consent, “directory” type information such as a student’s name, address, telephone number, email address, class level, degree and major, date and place of birth, dates of attendance, enrollment status, degrees awarded, dates of graduation, sports and activities participation, and honors and awards. However, students may request that directory information be suppressed by contacting the Registrar’s Office. If a student chooses to have directory information suppressed, the University will release information to those not authorized under the act only in emergency situations. Questions concerning the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act may be referred to the Registrar’s Office.


Transcripts of courses completed at the University of Maine at Fort Kent are issued only at the written request of the student. Two types of transcript are issued. “Unofficial” copies are issued to students for academic advising purposes. “Official” transcripts carry the signature of the Registrar and embossed seal of the University. Partial transcripts are not issued. The following per copy fee must be paid before a transcript will be issued:

Transcript Type Cost Per Copy
Official/Unofficial Copy Free

Transcripts will only show work completed as of the date of request. In-progress work will not display on the transcript.

Transcripts from other institutions, which have been presented for admission or evaluation, become a part of the student’s permanent academic file and are not returned or copied for distribution. Students desiring transcripts covering work attempted elsewhere should request them from the appropriate institution.

NOTE: It is the policy of the University of Maine at Fort Kent to withhold all official credentials, including grades and transcripts, until library clearance has been granted and the student’s account is paid in full. It also is University policy to withhold credentials for students who have defaulted on their university-based student loans. Paper and electronic transcripts may be ordered online at https://www.umfk.edu/registrar/transcripts/

Secure, Electronic Transcripts:

  • Do you need a transcript right away and don’t want to wait for the postal service to deliver mail across the country?
  • Are you applying for a job or graduate school, which requires an electronic transcript?

The University of Maine at Fort Kent has partnered with the National Student Clearinghouse to provide secure, electronic delivery of official transcripts to an email address anywhere in the world.

The total cost for an electronic transcript is $4.00 per transcript or less if the receiving institution participates in the Electronic Transcript Exchange (ETX), which is payable by credit card when you place your online order.

CAUTION:  If you attended the University of Maine at Fort Kent prior to 1990, electronic records will not be available and can only request by mail option.  If you respond, “YES” to the question “Did you attend University of Maine at Fort Kent prior to 1990”, the order will remain in the queue and WILL NOT be processed.

  • You’ll need to verify with the recipient to be sure that they will accept an electronic transcript.
  • You’ll want to send transcripts directly to another college if you’re hoping to be accepted and receive transfer credits.
  • Please note that you don’t need to order electronic transcripts for undergraduate admission to other University of Maine System schools. They’re able to access your transcript in MaineStreet as long as you don’t have a hold on your account.
  • Please note that if you completed dual enrollment credits while in High School, it requires a UMS Student ID# for electronic transcripts. Orders will not be processed without a UMS Student ID# and will be denied by the National Student Clearinghouse for “No Student Record Found”.


All fall and spring diplomas are mailed 30 days after the spring Commencement ceremony.  Summer diplomas are mailed out 30 days after the end of the summer semester.

Diplomas will list your major, program, conferral date, and, if applicable, earned graduation honors  .  Your transcripts will list major, program, concentration (if applicable), conferral date, and, if applicable, earned graduation honors  and minor(s).  The conferral date listed on the diplomas and transcripts refers to the date your degree was officially awarded to you.  The conferral date is the Saturday after finals week for the fall semester, the Saturday after finals week for the spring semester, and the last day of classes for the summer semester.

Veterans Educational Programs

Many University of Maine at Fort Kent programs have been approved by The Maine State Approving Agency for the use of educational benefits for Veterans, Service Persons, National Guard and eligible dependents of disabled or deceased Veterans. Students should contact the nearest VA regional hospital for information concerning eligibility, counseling, and benefits. Information is available at http://www.gibill.va.gov.

Students eligible for VA educational benefits should contact the UMFK Registrar’s Office to inform them of their veteran status. The Registrar’s Office is responsible for processing the necessary paperwork for benefits.

To apply for VA educational benefits, the student must:

  1. Apply for and be accepted into a University degree program.
  2. Complete the appropriate application for VA Benefits with the Registrar’s Office (Chapter 33 must complete 22-1990 at: http://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp.
  3. Submit a copy of the DD-214 (for Chapter 30) (Chapter 33 must submit a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility.)
  4. Register for, and begin taking classes.

To request certification of benefits each semester, the student must use the form located here:


Students should contact the Registrar’s Office with questions or assistance.

Title 38 United States Code Section 3679(e) School Statement of Compliance

Any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits will be permitted to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance.  A certificate of eligibility can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ eBenefits website, or a VA form 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes.

UMFK will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from the VA under chapter 31 or 33.

This agreement will terminate on the date on which payment from the VA is made to the institution or 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility, whichever date is most beneficial to the covered individual.