Please Review our Program Video by Clicking on the Image Below!
Students enrolling into concentrations for the 2021-22 academic year may opt into a newly created self-designed concentration starting in the 2022-23 academic year.
Our vision as part of a rural international border community in northern Maine is to serve the needs of the region and the state by fostering an interactive educational environment to develop an applied and global business perspective.
Our mission is to develop students as responsible and educated global citizens, life-long learners, and engaged business managers and entrepreneurs.
- Stewardship: To create a framework to attract and graduate business students with a Bachelor of Science degree within four years in collaboration with local, regional, and global stakeholders.
- Learning: To provide applied learning opportunities in all business courses.
- Collaboration: Prepare students for careers in alignment with workforce needs of the region, state, and beyond in partnership with campus partners and external stakeholders.
- Citizenship: All students will demonstrate competency in each component of the general education program and foster an ethical, corporate social responsibility, and a global perspective through engagement in business courses.
- Excellence: To provide a nurturing and engaging academic experience for our students to become diverse learners and aspiring professionals.
- Heritage: To serve as an exemplary global citizen reflecting the values of the University of Maine at Fort Kent and its heritage as vibrant teaching and learning institution and as a champion of the St. John Valley, the state of Maine, and communities of the North.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Knowledgeable about business theories
- Students will accumulate knowledge of business theories through course work, reading, engagement in applied projects during their academic studies
- Proficient to demonstrate applied learning
- Students will demonstrate their proficiency in applying business theories learning in the course to projects during their studies or in partnership with external stakeholders
- Well rounded with an appreciation of the arts and sciences
- All UMFK business students will demonstrate a well-rounded aptitude in fields of science, math, English, the arts accumulated through the general studies curriculum
- Students will be able to display a professional business demeanor in their engagement with peers, faculty, and external stakeholders
- Students will have an aptitude for an analytical approach to problem-solving and critical thinking as displayed in completing course projects on campus or with external stakeholders
- Interpersonal communication
- Students will be able to communicate verbally and in writing to a variety of stakeholders
- Business students will have developed through coursework critical leadership skills to be able to serve as effective peers in their future workplaces
- Business students upon graduation will have an understanding of modern technologies and their application in the real world as demonstrated through coursework
- Appreciation of the St. John Valley, Acadian culture, northern Maine, and the northern latitudes
- Business students upon graduation with have the knowledge of and appreciation of the people and culture of the St. John Valley, northern Maine, and northern latitudes.
The University of Maine at Fort Kent is accredited through the New England Commission of Higher Education (NECHE)
To be awarded a Bachelor of Science in Business Management, graduates must:
- Complete a minimum of 120 semester hours of credit;
- Complete a minimum of 45 hours of upper level credits (300 or higher);
- Maintain a minimum of 2.0 GPA across core and concentration courses;
- Complete program required courses with a grade of C or better.